Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Mistress of Spices




This is a movie I have wanted to see for ages and I finally got my hands on it. To say I was disappointed would be an understatement. I love the use of the same actors from 'Bend It Like Beckham' and 'Bride and Prejudice' but the story was really so weak. Basic premise: girl from India has the gift to discern which spice belongs to each of us (she also has psychic ability which is a little weird and quite unnerving for her as well). The spice helps us to be more productive, to find our true love, to make our lives better all around - whatever. I kept thinking if mine was garlic and my husband shouldn't eat garlic what a disaster that would be - but I guess 'the spices' would figure that out.
She is not supposed to have a life apart from the spices and, of course, she begins to fall in love. As her attention is taken away, even momentarily, from the spices to the man, disastrous things begin to happen. Okay, I know it's a love story and the cinematography is beautiful but couldn't we have a little more oomph? The shop is wonderful. I love cooking with different flavours and spices is one of the ways that I accomplish that and this movie is filled with vibrant colour and bins and bins of different powders and chilies. That part is fun. Our heroine is gorgeous (as is our hero) but is doesn't seem enough somehow. I would love to say run out and see this movie but unless you have an hour and a half with absolutely nothing else to do, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
You can find more of my book and movie reviews at: http://ukchica.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment